2 Thread the Needle Breathing & Stretches
|n/a||1||1||Hold 45 sec on each leg||Your Choice|
|TEMPO||Hold 45 sec on each leg|
- Open posterior hip musculature for ease of movement
- External Hip Rotator Musculature
- I.T Band
How to Perform
- Begin by lying on your back with knees bent and feet planted flat on the floor beneath them.
- Keep both hips even on the floor with a slight neutral curve in your low back.
- Cross your right ankle with a flexed foot over your left knee.
- Keeping your head, shoulders and hips aligned with the floor bring your right hand to the right knee.
- Inhale and then exhale and push the right knee away from you.
- Hold 45 secs
- Repeat on the other side.
- Avoid this exercise if you experience any knee pain.
- It’s easy to loose form in this exercise and feel as if you aren’t getting a good stretch. To avoid this, ensure your hips stay even with the floor and your lower back remains slightly arched. This will ground your seat bones close to the floor, which will allow for a greater stretch.
- You may also loose the stretch feeling if your foot is too far from the body. Ensure it’s directly under your knees.
Alternative Exercise Suggestions for Patients with an ICD
Keep arms below shoulder level.