2 Standing Side Stretch Warm Up
|n/a||1||10||Slowly Inhale at Centre: Exhale as you lower to each side||Your Choice|
|TEMPO||Slowly Inhale at Centre: Exhale as you lower to each side|
- Stretches the side body and low back muscles
- Warms up the body for exercise
- Mid and Low Back Musculature
- Oblique Core Musculature
- Lateral Leg and Hip Musculature
How to Perform
- Begin standing with feet slightly wider than hip width apart.
- Externally rotate the hands.
- Inhale slowly raise left arm and hand out to the side and overhead.
- Exhale and side bend to the right. Pretend like you are positioned between 2 pains of glass. One in front and one behind. Do not allow your head, body, hips or legs to twist.
- Inhale arms come back to center at shoulder level, then exhale and move into a side bend on your left, switching arms.
- It’s easy to move out of alignment with this stretch. The body can bend forward, back or rotate. It’s helpful to correct this by using a mirror. Pretend you are sandwiched between two panes of glass, one in front and one behind. Ensure your head, shoulders, hips and legs remain straight and only move as far as this alignment will allow.
Alternative Exercise Suggestions for Patients with an ICD
On the side of the ICD, keep the arm to the side of the body when bending to the opposite side. Do not bring it up over head.