4 Side Plank 2: Elbow / Feet Strengthening
|Elbow to Feet||2||1||Hold 5 to 15 sec on each side||45 sec to 1 min depending on exercise response.|
|LOAD||Elbow to Feet|
|TEMPO||Hold 5 to 15 sec on each side|
|REST||45 sec to 1 min depending on exercise response.|
- Strengthens the deep lateral core and shoulder stabilizer muscles.
- Strengthens and protects back from injury.
- Promotes healthy functional movement patterns through stabilization.
- Deep Abdominal Musculature
- Oblique Abdominal Musculature
- Shoulder Stabilizer Musculature
- Inner and Outer Thigh Musculature
How to Perform
- Begin side lying with your right elbow under your shoulder and your legs straight. Feet are stacked on one another.
- Inhale and then exhale and gently draw the belly in towards the spine as you lift your waist and hips off the floor, balancing on your elbow and feet.
- Ensure your head, shoulders, hips, knees and feet are in a straight line.
- Lift your left hand and arm straight up towards the ceiling and slightly pinch your shoulder blades to the mid back, opening the chest.
- Hold and repeat on the other side
- If you experience shoulder pain, it may be because your elbow isn't directly under your shoulder. If you continue to experience pain, consult an exercise professional or physical therapist.
- The upper spine can sometime round, throwing the alignment off. To ensure proper alignment, lift the chest and pull the shoulders away from the ears.
- Lastly, the hips may sit back from line of the head to toes. If that's the case, engage your glute (back of hips) muscles to push the hips forward and back into alignment.
Alternative Exercise Suggestions for Patients with an ICD
Maintain top side arm to the side of the body