3 Push Up 1: From Wall Strengthening
|From Wall||2-3||10||2 Lower: 1 Hold: 2 Rise||45 sec to 1 min depending on exercise response|
|TEMPO||2 Lower: 1 Hold: 2 Rise|
|REST||45 sec to 1 min depending on exercise response|
- Increase upper body strength.
- Increase lean muscle mass.
- Integrate core with upper body musculature.
- Arm and Chest Musculature
- Deep Core Abdominal Musculature
How to Perform
- Begin by facing the wall with hands placed at shoulder level and wider than shoulders.
- Position the feet approximately 3 feet away from the wall. The exercise increases in intensity the farther the feet are away from the wall.
- Draw the belly in towards the spine to gently engage the core.
- As you inhale, lower your chest towards the wall. Ensure your chest doesn’t drop more than one fist from the wall.
- As you exhale, push your chest away from the wall.
- It’s common to try and drop too close to the wall. This can create challenges for the shoulder joint. Ensure you only drop one fist away from the wall.
- Ensure hands sit inside the elbow.
- Lastly, if the core isn’t working, the hips will move out of alignment forward. Ensure the core is gently pulled in towards the spine to avoid this.
Alternative Exercise Suggestions for Patients with an ICD
Do not let your shoulders/chest go deeper than your elbows when descending into the exercise.