Twist 2: Seated on the Floor
|n/a||1||5 Breaths||Inhale Extend the spine: Exhale Twist further with each breath||Your Choice|
|TEMPO||Inhale Extend the spine: Exhale Twist further with each breath|
- Encourages optimal spinal alignment and mobility.
- Reduces Sympathetic Tone (Fight or Flight).
- Stretches lateral hip musculature.
- Para Spinal Muscles
- Waist and Outer Hip Musculature
How to Perform
- Sit with legs extended out on floor. If your back is unable to straighten, try completing the hamstring stretch first. If your seat bones don’t both touch the floor, it’s suggested that you place a block or pillow under your hips.
- Take your right leg and cross it over your left leg. Pull the knee in comfortably close towards your chest.
- Take your right hand and place it behind your back, to help extend your spine.
- Take your left hand and place it on the outside of your right knee to twist.
- Inhale, lengthen your spine. Exhale and twist. Repeat till end range.
- Many do not extend the spine enough and round the upper spine. Take your time extending the spine by imagining your spine becoming straight as a pole or pretending a string is pulling the back of the head up towards the ceiling. Then move into a deeper twist.
Alternative Exercise Suggestions for Patients with an ICD