Hip Opener Stretch
|n/a||1||1||Hold 45 sec on each leg||Your Choice|
|TEMPO||Hold 45 sec on each leg|
- Improve hip and knee mobility by stretching the anterior leg musculature
- Anterior Hip and Leg Musculature
- Lateral Abdominal Musculature
- Lateral Back Musculature
How to Perform
- Starting in a kneeling position.
- Bring your right foot forward into a kneeling lunge position.
- Place right hand on left knee. For increased stability try using a wall or as in the picture, a Swiss ball.
- Gently tuck your tailbone under, lengthening the low back.
- Ensure your right foot is in alignment with your right knee behind.
- Inhale and lift your right hand up towards the ceiling, opening the right side of your body.
- Exhale and keep tucking your tailbone under to lengthen the low back while noticing the stretch in the front of your right hip and leg.
- Hold while maintaining deep breathing.
- It’s common to have a crease at the hip, which reduces the hip stretch. To avoid this, ensure you tuck your tail under and push the front of the hip forward.
Alternative Exercise Suggestions for Patients with an ICD
On the side of the ICD, keep arm to the side when bending to the opposite side. Do not bring it up over head.